Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Natural Hair: Beginner's notes


Did you see me in the November issue of Essence Magazine?  Page 68 afro section....

"These sharp sisters embrace their roots with locs, Afros, and braids"
- Essence Magazine: Style File

I nearly passed out when I saw this article.  I don't remember how they got my picture (I probably sent it in, but my memory is like a goldfish...) and I didn't know that they selected it, but I was over the moon when I heard about it.  I'm still signing autographs, if you want one :-)  Anyhow, I was inspired to offer a little more encouragement to any women who are aspiring to go natural (Do it, do it, do it!!)  Just 3 important steps from a lifetime member...

As you persue being natural, it's important that you:
  1. Face yourself and embrace your hair as it grows out of your head. No braids, no weave, no cover ups. Wash you hair, put some oil/moisturizer in it, let it dry and then sit in the mirror. Play with your hair, look at your scalp, and acknowledge the power and beauty staring back at you. I've been natural my whole life, but I used to press & blowdry my hair all the time. I stopped cold turkey and wore an afro for 3 months straight. I did this first step and cried like a baby for hours. You are programmed not to like your hair because it's thick, wavy, and/or curly. You are programmed to think that bouncy curls or super straight hair is the only way. You are programmed not to like yourself the way god created you. This step will help with unprogramming you.
  2. Get to know the products and the INGREDIENTS you use in your hair. Just because it says "natural", "for curly or wavy hair", "moisturizing", etc does mean you should use it in your hair. Bad: Mineral oil, Sodium lauryl sulfate. Good: WATER, OLIVE OIL, Shea Butter.
  3. Develop Confidence, Patience, and the Courage to experiment!

Can you do it?


"Take the kinks out of your mind, not your hair." -Marcus Mosiah Garvey


Be well
Mickel :-)

5 comments:

  1. Well it has been almost 3 years since I have gone natural. It did take confidence I tell you! Now, I'm trying the no heat solution and a method I found at www.naturallycurly.com. I really appreciated her tips and just adjusted a few things to fit my hair. This method seems to be really care free and requires doing my hair once per week. You were my inspiration years ago :-) It just took some chick making all my hair fall out to be my motivation! Now I have cut my hair several times since going natural now I think I'm just going to allow it to grow out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go mickel! Your insight is really simple thoughtful, honest and refreshing! supporting you and your natural-ness, all the way from DC! Next do a post on smoothies ;-)~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting ladies!
    @Teisha, I'm so elated that you view my hairstory as an inspiration. I'm so happy that you not only kept your hair natural but weren't afraid to experiment and play with your beauty.
    @Pavla, The smoothie blog will be one of the next on the agenda, entirely dedicated to you. My roomie Belal makes a fruit smoothie every other day. Whenever I hear the blender I think of you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your picture on Essence. I randomly bought the issue because I love Kerry Washington (on the cover). And you know I'm growing out my perm so I was looking for some tips. I got so excited when I saw your picture!! (Clearly I had forgotten you said it on Facebook) I'll be coming to you for my autograph!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is an awesome surprise! I will be ready and waiting to give an autograph

    I'm so happy that you are remaining encouraged as you transition. I'm even more impressed that you are learning how to maintain and style your hair on your own. You are a beautiful woman and you carry your styling very well.

    ReplyDelete